Visitor Services Manager
The Kamloops Art Gallery is seeking an energetic person to guide the delivery of exceptional visitor services in the role of Visitor Services Manager. Women, people of colour, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities and people in the LGBTQIA2S+ community, and people from other historically excluded communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Visitor Services Manager is a key role at the Gallery; one where staff, our Board of Trustees, and visitors expect a high level of commitment to the Gallery’s efforts and general professionalism. The Visitor Services Manager guides the front-line presence; supervises a team of 4+, and manages the day-to-day operations of the Gallery’s physical and online Store while keeping the Gallery’s mission to foster community engagement with art through exhibitions, programs, and the Gallery’s collection as the focus of all visitor service efforts.
The successful candidate possesses visitor service experience; demonstrates a commitment to the importance of historical and contemporary art; has managed teams; and has outstanding organizational, communication and computer skills as well as a keen eye for detail, and the ability to multi-task and prioritize in a busy environment.
The Visitor Services Manager is responsible for ensuring exceptional visitor experiences aligned with the Kamloops Art Gallery's strategic plan through the day-to-day operations of exhibition, program, and public engagement admissions and the Gallery Store.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops a thorough understanding of the various exhibitions, programs, and general engagement activities (e.g. events), to guide Gallery Attendants and visitor experiences.
- Monitors the visitor experience, including collecting and compiling statistical data, trend details, and feedback from visitors for purposes of reporting and recommending improvements to the visitor experience in areas such as scheduling, process, and procedure improvements.
- Provides feedback and recommendations to continuously improve the visitor experience.
- Supervises all visitor services staff, including recruitment and selection, scheduling, coaching, training, and performance management.
- Develops, maintains, and ensures consistency and compliance of Admissions' operational procedures, responses to visitors, the Gallery Store, on-site events, and facility rentals.
- Oversees challenges with the visitor experience by responding and resolving visitor complaints, handling any escalations, ensuring appropriate security and loss prevention measures are in place, monitoring exhibitions and events and responding to incidents and emergencies, including timely follow-up through to resolution.
- Coordinates the exhibition opening receptions, including coordinating volunteers, logistics, entertainment, and physical set-up and take-down.
- Manages the collection of revenue for gallery attendance, memberships and donations, program admissions, public engagement activities, event rentals, including overseeing tracking, revenue reconciliation, and bank deposits.
- Manages the in-person and online Gallery Store:
- Day-to-day management of the Gallery Store, such as ensures a clean, organized, and welcoming environment; responding to visitor, customer, vendor, and supplier inquiries; supervising staff and delegating work; overseeing the daily activation and oversight of exhibitions; overseeing the adjustment of inventory; reviewing sales reports and admissions receipts.
- Plans and administers the budget for the Gallery Store in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Oversees the inventory database, online Store, and managing the annual inventory count.
- Manages the Gallery Store Point of Sale system.
- Prepares, maintains, analyzes, and reports on financial records and sales statistics.
- Completes month-end reporting.
- Develops and coordinates marketing and promotional initiatives (online and in print) for the Gallery Store.
- Participates in community events and associations to represent the Gallery and promote the Gallery Store, including preparing, planning, and coordinating any off-site Store set-up.
- Manages facility rentals, including responding to rental inquiries, obtaining event/use details, providing information about the Gallery logistics and limitations, scheduling rentals, coordinating staff, logistics and security, ordering supplies, planning event set up and takedown as required.
The Visitor Services Manager is responsible for delivering exceptional visitor service to everyone who comes to the Gallery and connects with the Gallery Store online. The Manager is also responsible for managing the Gallery Store and overseeing all the Gallery admissions, program registrations, events, and facility rentals.
The key external contacts for this position include visitors, volunteers, vendors, potential vendors, students, visiting artists, suppliers, renters, security guards, janitors, RCMP, employees of neighbouring organizations, sponsors, representatives, and officials of Kamloops community associations and non-profit organization, local business owners, and the general public. To effectively perform their duties, the Visitor Services Manager must work closely with all staff members. The Visitor Services Manager reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Proven ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- Previous experience in management-level customer/visitor service.
- Previous experience managing a team.
- Previous experience in a retail store, including staff recruitment, scheduling, and performance management.
- Completion of two years post-secondary.
- A diploma or degree in fine arts is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated interest in contemporary and historical art.
- Previous experience with managing budgets and financial management and reporting.
- Previous experience coordinating and executing events.
- Extensive understanding of sales principles and inventory management processes.
- Previous experience with point-of-sale systems and transactions.
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to be tactful and diplomatic.
- Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to perform under pressure and respond to safety and security issues when needed.
- Ability to be flexible and manage competing priorities.
- Proficient with MS Office programs and POS systems.
- Customer Service
- Decision Making & Judgement
- Coaching and Developing Others
- Financial Management
- Planning & Organization
The Gallery is committed to equitable hiring. We know that some may have had more disadvantages than others due to systemic barriers. Where possible, we will look at skill and experience over academic or professional degrees. We look to recruit and train those from diverse backgrounds and all are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter with your resume - HERE.
Application deadline: Friday, April 30, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Our Covid Safety Plan is in place. Safety measures include limiting the number of visitors in spaces, ensuring social distancing, maintaining cleaning protocols, and the wearing of masks by all staff and visitors.
Become a member
Make a donation